On Tuesday 9/17 in the early afternoon a Warren homeowners life was drastically changed. An armed assailant entered his home under the guise of buying jewelry from the homeowners brother that was as not currently at home. Once inside the building the assailant produced a gun and attempted to rob the homeowner.
The 68 year old man living on Norma near 11mile then used quick thinking to save his life and property. Telling the 40 year old robber that he had more jewelry under the bed. The homeowner then pulled out his home defense weapon and shot the assailant 2 times in the chest and once in the arm.
The assailant was still able to struggle and fight with the homeowner who was then pistol wiped by the attacker before he fled in a Mercury Marquis waiting outside with a unknown driver. The attacker was apprehended at St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital at 12 Mile and Hoover and police have leads on the suspected driver.
According to Police Commissioner Jere Green police are calling this a lawful case of self defense.
“We’re pretty confident based on physical evidence and the interviews, this was a person inside his home that was being threatened with great bodily harm and he defended himself,” Green said.
Here are somethings we can take away from this story to protect our own families:
- Do not open the door to anyone you do not know
- Do not let anyone in your home you do not know
- Do not keep your weapon off your person even when home
- Do not think that 2 to the chest and 1 to the arm will drop an attacker
- Limits on magazine capacity can be dangerous as we see here 3 shots was not enough to stop a single attacker